It has been over 5 years now since I went and sent up a company so I could work for myself. In that time it has ranged from very lean to actually having to say no to work. There was a short detour back to perm work but in reality their painted picture was better than reality.
Lack of clear direction
One mistake I can readily admit over these years is a lack of clear direction. At times the business has been part:
- Full service web company
- Hired gun contractor / freelancer inside other organisations
- Web site content with income from advertising
- Web site services with pay for use
Number 2 has been by far the most successful in a monetary sense with the others suffering from being a small fish in a big wide sea. This is not to say the time spent on them has been wasted. I have learnt a lot about business models, promotion & marketing amongst other non technical skills. But it did have me wearing too many hats, and results suffered because of this.
Over the last 6 months I have consciously been moving to a situation where the company structure is purely to support my freelance software development. No more trying to build the next big thing by myself or compete for small fry work from small companies where the dollar cost seems more important than the benefit that can be derived from their web presence.
For the Future
A few ideas for the future.
- Finding & working with other skilled professionals on a project by project basis. Whether they be a project manager, graphic designer, marketer or other developers.
- Writing more here and sharing some of what I have leant from a technical perspective.
- Releasing more code when I am in a legal position to do so under a free license. I have lots of custom WordPress plugins and modifications to other plugins that others should find useful.
- Understand more about non relational databases
- Learn and do more development for mobile platforms